Monday, March 3, 2014

A New Skyscraper

by Sam Kinsman

fanatical, financial, frightening, glittery, mystery, sugar


Maybe it had been there all along? I’m not the most observant. Head down as I walk, watching out for leaves (can’t crunch them) or stray insects that may need protecting. 

I noticed on Tuesday. Monday I was too busy but I’m sure you knew that already. Bag heavy with freshly graded exams covered in red ink LOTS OF RED THIS WEEK. They didn’t study.

Monday I couldn’t see very well.

Tuesday was crisp and clear. Not unlike the inside of a car wash you know smells faintly of soap, but hopeful. Something good could happen. Cocked my head to the right because I thought I saw a frog that needed help and I saw a glinty glinty sparkle.

High rise. Chrome with big windows. Odd for Portland but maybe the hipsters want to make some money. Won’t their suits smell like desperation?

Couldn’t walk in – no NO I hadn’t met the minimum requirements yet. Just looked. No doorman, revolving door gold trim five six eight above door.

Nameplate? No. Couldn’t ask for entrance by name. Checked watch. Fifteen minutes to spare. Thrill of exploration through my spine. Whispered code, mayIpleasefollowyourrulesandbegoodallIwanttoknowiswhetheryouhaveaplaceformebeca
usetherestofthisfallenworldmakesnosensetomeI’vebeenlookingforsolongIjustneedtobreath
eforasecondsoopenyourbeautifularmstome NOW

When I opened my eyes I was in the lobby. Spotless. Computers humming at the empty desk. No receptionist. They must know I’m here already. Found the elevators really easily because I’m good at finding things and went up to the eighth floor.

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding

Laughed the whole way up because how can anyone take elevators seriously? They’re so tiny. So self-important! You dumb box your whole purpose is to make my life easier you have no business judging me I’ve got enough of that. I’ve sent too much time trying to impress machines like you and not enough time preparing my heart and soul for Future Wife.

Time Out. Intermission.

A List of Requirements:
1) Perfect Hygiene
2) Caring soul (must be visible)
3) Sweet voice but not loud singer
4) Excellent baker mostly brownies
5) Wants to kiss me
6) Understands why I protect important things

The eighth floor was just how I expected it’d be. They were setting up for the Christmas party and left for some reason so I finished the job as well as I could. The tinsel took a long time. My arms really hurt.

I would say I did about 65% Good Job with the office. Sometimes the cats show up and tell me I’m lowballing and it’s at least 72% but I feel that the gingerbread was shoddy. Not enough frosting. Don’t tell them but I ate a little hehehe!

I kissed the new skyscraper as I left. It’s hard to do your job but when you do it right life feels a lot better. Back to business, as they say!

monday was heavy

tuesday I did my job

Maybe Wednesday she’ll be there

No comments:

Post a Comment