Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Re-Start at the Beginning

by Rachael Harrington

beginner, essential, shag, bleakly, fuzzy, rotten


The beginning. Ok let's see. Hmmm. The beginning.

Dora looked out over the raging ocean and felt in her deepest, most secret chamber of her heart that something essential was missing in her life.

What? Wait, no. That's. that's. it's too broad. Oh, and it's pretty stale writing. Too misty, too touchy feeling right up front. And you couldn't think of a better name than Dora? I need a snack.
Ok. Here we go. The beginning.


Clara jumped into the ocean like a sports illustrated model, knowing for certain that surt one of the muscled, bronzed boys would- after this spectacle- want to sha-

Oh, lord. I just wrote the first sentence of my very first adult novel, and I guess my main character is a senior citizen named Clara. Really. Clara?
Maybe I need to stretch first.
Ok, that's better. Just dive in.


Janet stared bleakly out the window of her dead husbands beach house.

Ok, I'm just gonna stop myself right there. Your problem started with the name Janet.
Go get some water, Harrington.
Ok. Just ... Don't try so hard. Just be yourself. Let it flow.


When the cold water of the Atlantic hit Willow's toes for the first time, it slammed her mind with the jarring recollection of her her families first vacation.

Hmmm. Ok. Maybe this one. But it's not quite working. Lets see-

When the warm water of the Mediterranean lapped onto Willow's toes for the first time, a fuzzy recollection of her family's first vacation floated through her mind.

Yeah. I kinda dig this. I think this could go some where. I mean a girl named Willow? That's a girl on a journey!
I wonder of professor Rodriguez will think this is a rotten art history essay?

No comments:

Post a Comment